Make your own salsa using fresh ingredients from this planting plan. Plant yours with two tomatoes, or try tomatillos for salsa verde. Onions, cilantro, and peppers round out the sweet and spicy Latin flavors. The Finished Plan below shows the planted bed. The second illustration shows two Color Coded Planting Areas. Look at the drop-down tabs to find planting instructions for each area.
Color Coded Planting Areas
Area 1 – Cilantro and Onions »
- 4 Cilantro
- 22 Red onions
- 10 White onions (we used Georgia Sweet)
Area 2 – Peppers »
- 1 Jalapeno pepper (with cage or trellis)
- 1 Red Bell pepper (with cage or trellis)
Area 3 – Tomatoes or Tomatillos »
Choose either tomatoes or tomatillos. You must have two tomatillo plants for cross-pollination.
- 2 large red tomatoes (such as Celebrity or Amelia, with cage or trellis)
- 2 Tomatillos (with cage or trellis)