Warm, creamy goat cheese rounds meet the bright flavors of fresh strawberries and arugula in this mouth-watering salad. Strawberry lovers will especially like the homemade dressing, which is made using strawberry jam.
Yield: 4 servings.
- 2 (4-ounce) logs plain goat cheese
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- ½ cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 ounces (about 6 cups) arugula
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/3 cup pecan halves, toasted
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Slice the goat cheese into twelve ½-inch-thick slices (a length of dental floss works well). Combine the egg white and water in a shallow dish and beat until frothy. Place the bread crumbs in a shallow dish. Dip each cheese slice in the egg white mixture; coat with the breadcrumbs, pressing to coat the cheese slices thoroughly. Place the slices on a plate and chill for 30 minutes.
Whisk the strawberry jam, vinegar, salt, pepper, and ¼ cup olive oil in a small bowl. Pour over the arugula in a large salad bowl and toss well. Divide among four plates and top with the strawberries and pecans.
Melt the butter with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the goat cheese rounds. Cook for 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Top each salad with three warm rounds. Serve Arugula and Strawberry Salad immediately.