Ace 55 VF
- Sun: Full sun
- Harvest Size: 10 to 12 ounces
- Days to Harvest: 75
- Plant Size: 3 to 4 feet tall
- Plant Type: Determinate
For deep red, low-acid tomatoes in the middle of the season, plant Ace 55 VF. Its sweet flavor has been a favorite for generations. The plants are nice and full, protecting the fruit from sunburn.
Plant tomatoes in spring through early summer. In spring, plant after all danger of frost is passed. If you want to plant early to beat the season, be prepared to protect the plants from frost and give them added warmth with a row cover. If you find your favorite variety early, you may also keep the plants in the windowsill for a week or two until the weather warms.
Disease resistance: VFA. Plant spacing: 24 to 36 inches apart in conventional rows, 18 to 24 inches in intensive gardens, 1 per large pot. Plants per person: 2 to 5.
Secrets to Success »
Plant deeply so that two-thirds of the plant is buried, stem and all. The buried stem will sprout roots, adding to the strength of the plant. Fertilize when planting and during the growing season with Bonnie Herb & Vegetable Plant Food. Support with a stake, trellis, or wire cage, even if grown in a pot.
When fruiting stops, pull up this determinate plant to make room for other items in the garden. Where the season is long, plant determinate tomatoes again in later summer for a second harvest before frost.
Harvest and Use »
This is an old-fashioned fresh slicing tomato. Pick bright red ripened fruits and slice or quarter to serve on a plate, in a salad, or on a sandwich. Use green ones, picked before ripe, for fried tomatoes or tart sauces. The red tomato is considered a “superfood” for its wealth of vitamins and antioxidants, including cancer-fighting lycopene.
Try These Garden Companions »
- Bush Early Girl, an early determinate perfect for containers.
- Red Beefsteak or Park's Whopper (indeterminate types) for large tomatoes later in the season.
- Super Sweet 100, Sun Sugar, Yellow Pear, Bonnie Grape or any small cherry that bears all season.
- Sweet basil for tomato-and-basil salad or sandwich.
- Bonnie Select VFFNTA, BHN 602 VF123SW, Amelia VF123NStSW, or Talladega VFFTSWSt. for high disease resistance.